For the past couple of months, I’ve been running my CFML server engines (yes engines, plural) on top of Tomcat on my local development environment. This offers me, as an independent developer that works on a number of different client projects, a great deal of flexibility in matching a particular client’s production configuration. Also lately, I’ve been working on a couple of projects using Railo 3.1 as well as a project for a client that still uses CFMX 7. One of the things that I really missed when not developing with ColdFusion 8 is the step debugger that ships with CF8. I’d used FusionDebug some time ago with CFMX 7 when I was running it on top of JRun 4 but had never gotten around to getting it configured under my current, Tomcat-based setup. Until tonight that is.
I ran into a situation while working on a MachII application running on Railo 3.1 where I REALLY need to see what was going on with the various variable scopes during the request cycle, so I decided tonight to see if I could get FusionDebug 3 Beta up and running with Railo and Tomcat.