In my last post I mentioned that I had been toying around with using Tomcat as the only servlet container to deploy all my ColdFusion applications to, regardless of what ColdFusion engine you needed to use for a specific project. My goal in trying to get this working was actually 3-fold:
- Learn more about how standard JEE servlet containers worked and how to configure them
- Remove my dependence on JRun as it is not under active development any more
- Be able to have one central place to start/stop each application’s instance as I switch between client projects
So far, I’m 2 for 3 on those goals. What follows is a brief history of what I did in the current iteration, what works well and what I’m still missing to have what I believe is the perfect development environment (at least for my situation). The steps I took here are based on my experiments using Mac OS X, but should be fairly close for Windows users.